Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hello, Ive had swollen glands on both sides of neck under

Hello, I've had swollen glands on both sides of neck under jaw and ringing in my ears for a little over four weeks now. Also a clicking sound when I swallow, but only with my head pointed forward. I don't hear/feel it when my head is turned left, right or up. My primary diagnosed it as pharyngitis and put me on 10 days of amoxicillin. Seemed to help symptoms slightly but didn't do the trick. I then went to an ENT and he indicated I had some type of low grade infection, but didn't perform any tests. Just looked in my throat and ears. He put me on a 3 week course of Cefdinir which I've been taking for a week and a half now. Symptoms don't seem to be going away. My primary got me an authorization for a CT scan but the ENT said it was a waste of time and money.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Thank you for that very detailed history. What is the question I can assist you with?

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Thank you for that very detailed history. What is the question I can assist you with?
RickMD :

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wondering if you agree with the diagnosis or if it could be something else. I'm also tempted to just go ahead and try to have the CT scan done tomorrow in advance of my follow-up visit with the ENT on Monday. I saw my primary on Wednesday who is treating me for high blood pressure and he indicated that it could take a week and a half for the Cefdinir to kick in.

From what you have posted, if I were in your shoes, and the CT scan was paid for (at least in part) by my health insurance, I would just go ahead and have it done.

While I do not agree that it would take 10 days for any positive results of the cefdinir to show up it would take time to completely clear up any infection present. Cefdinir is, in my opinion, an excellent choice for your case.

As to what the correct diagnosis is in your case and what is the causative agent, that is hard to say. It might end up being a virus, in which case the antibiotics will not have any effect and the infection will just have to run its course....

So. What is the take home message? Go ahead with the CT scan. It won't hurt anything and it may provide some useful information.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS