Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

Please could you reassure me again, because of my ridiculous

Please could you reassure me again, because of my ridiculous health anxiety and i am worrying about going for a routine Pap test next week - I am 50 years old and my last five test have been normal but my terrible fear of cancer is making me so anxious about the test. Please tell me I do not need to worry... ! Thank you
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

You probably have nothing to worry about, however, I will ask you- have you had any changes in your gynecological health since your last papsmear? Have you had any discomfort or noticed any lumps, rashes or sores?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no - i am a bit dry because my periods stopped a year ago, but otherwise no change

Have you had any history of cancer? Do you have any family members related by blood who have had cancer? If you have had abnormal papsmears in the past, please tell me what they indicated...and/or any procedures you had in result. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have no family history of cancer, about 13 years ago i had a pap test that showed boarder line changes which returned to normal three months later and all tests have been clear since then - i have had no sexual relations with any body other than my husband.

Then you really should not be worried...
This type of cancer usually exhibits signs and symptoms, which you do not have.. Also, Your cancer-free family tree does wonders for the likelihood of you too, remaining cancer free.

I hope this lessens your anxiety.. I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

am I right in thinking that even if a few abnormal cells were found then they are usually found before they turn into cancer and therefore can be treated long before there is a health risk ?

You are absolutely correct. And the cells usually cause cervical cancer, which is a slowly progressing disease and very treatable...