Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Would it be reasonable for me to request of my surgeon that

Would it be reasonable for me to request of my surgeon that heparin be administered thru the IV rather than intramuscularly? I find the shots into the stomach or thigh quite painful with pain lasting for awhile after administration.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Why are you being given heparin?

RickMD :

Are you still in the hospital?

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Why are you being given heparin?
RickMD : Are you still in the hospital?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I hope to be able with your medical concerns. Please be sure to leave feedback, as that is how I know how to improve.

This may be more of a logistics issue than anything else. While you can always ask, remember that it is not the surgeon giving you your dose, it will be your nurse. The entire dose would need to be converted for IV use. That would be more the case of patients needing therapeutic heparin such as a heparin drip.

The other issue is whether a nurse can push IV heparin at that institution. I know there are strict regulation regarding pushing any blood thinning agents, especially in patients who may be prone to bleeding such as those prone to falling and post surgical patients.

I would ask your surgeon why you need heparin at all. If you are post surgery, up and ambulating, or at least moving from the bed to the chair, I'm not entirely sure I see the need to continue the heparin (it may just be a goofy hospital policy).

I hope this helps,

Christian

Dr.Christian7712, Doctor
Experience: Surgery/Anesthesia/Sleep/Medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is hospital policy for post-surgery patients to receive heparin injections subcutaneously to prevent blood clots.

Christian,

That is a good policy and for clot prevention you do not need IV therapy.

Sorry it hurts :(

......but it is a lot better then a blood clot.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. No more questions at this time.

My pleasure :)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC