Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

Hi I havent gotten my period this month . Its been about

Hi I haven't gotten my period this month . It's been about 35 days since my last one. I've had gas and constipation off and on. When I moved my bowels this morning I got some pain in my right side and when I bear down to go to the bathroom my side hurts. I also feel like I have to urinate sometimes after going. On Friday I had a colonoscopy which my doctor said looks normal. What do u think?
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

I can understand your concern. Would you mind telling me the following-
Are you a smoker? Is there a possibility you could be pregnant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not a smoker and no way I could be pregnant
Does your right side only hurt in the morning when using the bathroom?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Basically it only hurts when going to the bathroom
And have you been tested for sexually transmitted diseases recently? Also, when was your last papsmear? Have you had abnormal paps in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have never had sex. My last papsmear was June and they've always been fine. The only thing is I do have cyst which they weren't too concerned about.
Did they indicate where the cyst was?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't remember if it was on the left or right ovary

Okay, I'm so glad you mentioned this, as I believe your symptoms are associated with the ovarian cyst(s) detected in your last pap smear.

You should contact your OB-GYN to set up an appointment to determine if this is the definite cause.

Since it is causing you pain and interfering with your menstrual cycle, it may need to be removed.
Cysts are common but usually go away one their own within 2 or 3 menstrual cycles, though some do not. Those that don't need to be removed to prevent damage to your reproductive system.