Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 63 year old male and carrier of the genital herpes virus.

I am a 63 year old male and carrier of the genital herpes virus. I have never had an outbreak. If I am just a carrier is it possible to pass the virus along through sexual intercourse, kissing or any other intimate contact? If so, what precautions can I take to eliminate or reduce chances of transfer, either medications or condoms? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

The herpes should not be passed by kissing and other non-sexual contact as genital herpes does not usually involve the mouth.

RickMD :

But, yes, it is possible to pass on the virus even without symptoms or active lesions.

RickMD :

Use of a condom will go a long way toward preventing transmission of the genital herpes virus to your partner. Since you have never had an outbreak I do not think that you require chronic suppression medical therapy. That being said, you could discuss this option with your MD.

RickMD :

WOW!!! The first response from you is "bad service"?????

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : The herpes should not be passed by kissing and other non-sexual contact as genital herpes does not usually involve the mouth.
RickMD : But, yes, it is possible to pass on the virus even without symptoms or active lesions.
RickMD : Use of a condom will go a long way toward preventing transmission of the genital herpes virus to your partner. Since you have never had an outbreak I do not think that you require chronic suppression medical therapy. That being said, you could discuss this option with your MD.
RickMD : WOW!!! The first response from you is "bad service"?????
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.