Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I fell and sprained my finger about ten weeks ago. Its range

I fell and sprained my finger about ten weeks ago. It's range of motion is somewhat limited, but I find that when I compress the extensor side of the middle knuckle, range full motion is restored. I assume the compression is dislocating synovial fluid somehow, but over the next hour or so the original condition returns, making me wonder what's really happening. Do you have any advice?
still need help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to know what I should do, or not do, in order to speed recovery from my injury. If you would like additional information, please ask me what you want to know.
Have you splinted it or tried meds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My finger is functional accept for the last 5% of its range at which point it becomes painful to increase my grip further. As I previously said, however, if I periodically compress the areas on both sided of the knuckle, full painless motion is temporarily restored.
Good afternoon,
I see that your expert has opted out and is no longer available to assist you.
How can I be of service?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am a 65 year old male. About 10 weeks ago I fell and sprained ring finger on my right hand. I have not done anything for it except to periodically exercise it by closing and opening my fist. The finger will not close completely, however, except by applying gentle force over a period of about half a minute for the last 5% of its range. This allows it to temporarily close and open freely thereafter without pain, but after an hour or so, depending on how use my hand during the interim, the range of motion decreases again to 95% of its full range. Assuming that tendons don't stretch and contract so easily, I thought fluid was probably restricting the finger's normal range of motion. To test this idea, I have been using two fingers on my other hand to compress the tissue on both sides of the injured finger's middle knuckle. After about tens seconds or so, this procedure allows my finger to temporarily achieve its full range of motion again, but only for an hour or so as explained above. I would like to know what I should do, or not do, to speed recovery of my injured finger. Thank you.
I do not believe that your problem is due to any sort of fluid restriction in your finger joint.
If the finger is improving bit by bit since the injury, then you are probably OK to continue to exercise it while it slowly returns to full function.
Of course, the best thing to do would be to have an orthopedic surgeon and/or hand specialist examine your finger and prescribe proper therapy for you particular injury. As you know, your hands are a very important part of your daily life and even a small amount of function loss can be very noticeable.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC