Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I received oral from an hiv positive woman. My was

I received oral sex from an hiv positive woman. My penis was in her mouth for about 10 seconds when I pulled out there was some saliva on my penis. I then put a condom on and entered her vagina for maybe a minute at the most. I felt very uncomfortable about the setting and what was going on. I stopped all contact with her and left. I later found out through a friend that she was hiv positive. I am consumed with worry and have already seen my doctor for some base line testing. I lied to him and told him I stepped on a needle. I am concerned about my level of risk and probability of contacting hiv from the encounter.
Thank you for your question:
The estimated risk of a single oral sexual encounter with an HIV positive woman is estimated at 1 in 20,000
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about the brief sexual intercouse with the condom on?
Without a condom, the risk of a single episode of vaginal intercourse with an HIV positive woman is 5 in 10,000. The risk is greatly reduced by use of a condom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How about if the woman had gum diesease, bleeding gums, or a sore in her mouth
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know that she did and I saw no signs that she did, but just curious.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have herpes but did not have any lesion or any symptoms at all at the time of the encounter. will that increase my risk?
Any active outbreak would definitely increase the risk as would any active bleeding gums.
Overall, as you can see from this table, the risk of HIV transmission is much less than many people might guess.
I understand your anxiety, but honestly, the risk is not particularly high based on the history your provided. You do of course need follow up testing, but you really need to relax and not worry yourself to death.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been consumed with worry and am having an extremely difficult time getting it out of my head. Your counsel and advice is helpful. So what i am beginning to understand is that the probability that I have contracted hiv from this encounter is extremely low. Would that be correct?
YES - the risk of having developed HIV from this single episode is low. You do need to have the follow up testing to be 100% certain both for your health and your mental health - so you can quit worrying.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I have had basline testing for hiv and all the hepatitus a few days ago and will plan follow up testing out to six months I think that is routine. Correct?
That is correct. The final test at 6 months is considered definitive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you... You cannot believe how stupid I feel
I understand, years from now, you will look back at this and have a few chuckles about the whole incident.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I doubt that. I am very disgusted with myself for putting myself in that position, but I appreciate your understanding. I am sure I won't fully stop worrying until the final test
Hey - we all make mistakes. The key is to learn from every experience and try not to make the same mistakes twice.
Have a good evening. Thank you for using
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome