Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

What is Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease ?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

This is a condition where the blood vessels thicken due to fatty deposits, usually cholesterol and heart function decreases. It is a general term

RickMD :

It usually is also associated with inflammation of the blood vessels that causes chronic and progressive damage.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : This is a condition where the blood vessels thicken due to fatty deposits, usually cholesterol and heart function decreases. It is a general term
RickMD : It usually is also associated with inflammation of the blood vessels that causes chronic and progressive damage.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you about this common disorder.

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rick, I am intersted to know, if u can, about the sudden death...we spoke 4mins before...I was told he had a Heart Stent 2 years ago.

Heart stent technology has become very good over the last decade or so.

That being said, depending on what coronary artery the stent was placed in, should it become blocked, damage to the heart muscle can occur and, if it is in the left anterior descending artery or other major vessel, sudden death is a possibility.

The good news? Everything possible has been done to avoid just this type of complication. So, as long as he follows his cardiologists advice, keeps his followup appointments and takes his medicines as directed he will be at the lowest possible risk for this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick