Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Has Viagra been approved for women by the FDA?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

It is not FDA approved for use in women at this time nor, to the best of my knowledge, is work being done to obtain such approval.

RickMD :

There have been some studies, however, that showed viagra may be useful in women who suffer from sexual dysfunction secondary to the use of antidepressants.

RickMD :

I would not have a woman take viagra based on this small study without the careful monitoring by a doctor. This is NOT a pill that she should just obtain from her male partner and take as she feels it is necessary.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I would encourage you and your wife to discuss these issues in depth with your wife's OB/GYN doctor so that a complete workup can be done and a safe solution to her decreased libido can be found.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : It is not FDA approved for use in women at this time nor, to the best of my knowledge, is work being done to obtain such approval.
RickMD : There have been some studies, however, that showed Viagra may be useful in women who suffer from sexual dysfunction secondary to the use of antidepressants.
RickMD : I would not have a woman take Viagra based on this small study without the careful monitoring by a doctor. This is NOT a pill that she should just obtain from her male partner and take as she feels it is necessary.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
RickMD : I would encourage you and your wife to discuss these issues in depth with your wife's OB/GYN doctor so that a complete workup can be done and a safe solution to her decreased libido can be found.
RickMD : Does this make sense to you?
RickMD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick