Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I feel like there is pressure in my groin area, especially

Customer Question

I feel like there is pressure in my groin area, especially when I'm sitting in a slouched position and forward. The pressure is located between my right thigh and right lower quadrant. It tends to get relieved when I sleep, but comes back later during the day, and gets uncomfortable when I sit down, especially, It is the worst when I sit and bend forward. There is also sometimes a slight burning around the area between my inguinal area and abdomen, but there is no swelling, tenderness, or any warmth.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

only past history of asthma

RickMD :

How long has this been going on for?

Customer:

its been about a week and a half

Customer:

and its uncomfortable when I sit for long periods of time

Customer:

especially if I'm slouching

RickMD :

One likely cause for your symptoms is a hernia. This can be very painful, just like you are experiencing, even without a lump that you can feel.

RickMD :

Since this has gone on for so long I would suggest you see your doctor in the morning for a complete examination. If it is, indeed, a hernia, it can be easily repaired by a surgeon.

RickMD :

Left untreated intestines can get incarcerated in the hernia and damaged, causing a lot more serious issues.

RickMD :

I do not think, from what you have posted, that you need to go to the ER tonight.

Customer:

I tend to get some tingling from my groin area to my abdomen at times

Customer:

sometimes it is a burning sensation

Customer:

burning type of pain that shoots up

RickMD :

Burning sensation would go along with a hernia and, while tingling is not common, it can also be part of the symptoms if nerves are involved.

RickMD :

I've had a hernia myself so I can speak to this issue not only as a doctor but as patient :)

Customer:

hah I am a medical student myself

Customer:

so I'm trying to figure out what is going on

RickMD :

Been there, done that....got the T shirt

RickMD :

What year are you?

Customer:

3rd year

Customer:

currently rotating in internal medicine

RickMD :

Have you figured out what you want to do when you grow up yet?

Customer:

hah

Customer:

most likely family practice or ID

Customer:

not sure yet

Customer:

I was just hoping its nothing too serious

RickMD :

ID pays better but there are more openings in FP

Customer:

most of the residents I have interacted with seem much more content with FP

RickMD :

Hernia's are not serious....maybe they will let you "scrub in" on your surgery lol!

Customer:

hah

RickMD :

I'm a retina surgeon and have enjoyed my two decades of practice.

Customer:

its just I cant study

Customer:

when I sit down

Customer:

and it is a nuisance

RickMD :

Get it looked at tomorrow by one of the residents -- a surgery resident if you can find one.

Customer:

yeah there are a few on my floor

RickMD :

I'm sure that they will be happy to cut on you :)

Customer:

hah

Customer:

yeah Im preparing for step 2 right now

RickMD :

Just pull one into an empty patient room and you will have your answer in a moment

Customer:

as you know 3rd year is painful

RickMD :

quit ignoring it

Customer:

I know absolutely

RickMD :

It was fun....but very long hours

Customer:

yeah another doctor also told me it could be a hernia

Customer:

like I feel abdominal pressure

RickMD :

See. Doctors are smart.

Customer:

usually relieved when I sleep

RickMD :

Sounds like a hernia......

Customer:

or sit back

RickMD :

Don't get much sleep as a third year

Customer:

instead of forward

RickMD :

lots of scut to be done

Customer:

yep

Customer:

but IM or FP is probably my goal

RickMD :

Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?

Customer:

nope that would be all

Customer:

thank you very much

RickMD :

Sounds like a good plan.

RickMD :

Best of luck to you.

RickMD :

I hope you feel better soon,.

Customer:

thank you

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what the surgery resident had to say after your "hallway" consult. Are you to be "cured with cold steel"?

Best of luck in your career.

Dr.Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ended up going to the ED and the physician ruled me out for a hernia and told me it is most likely a deep muscle pull. She told me to get it checked out by a surgeon but just gave me 600 mg Ibuprofen TID which Ive been taking but I do not want to take it for too long. I might go for the consult this week

Glad to hear that you are not going to have to go under the knife.

The ibuprofen will not hurt you to take for a week or two....Just try your best to take it easy.

On our last chat you left without giving me a positive rating......but, never fear, you can do it now :-)

Enjoy your remaining clinical rotations. Take care.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much I appreciate for all of your help, I am happy as well but lets see what the surgeon has to say about it, hopefully I can just manage this at home and I won't have to undergo a surgery.

Sounds like an excellent plan. From what you just posted I don't think you are going to need surgery.

Take care and, if you have a chance to a rotation in Ophthalmology....you might like it :)