Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi, I am experiencing upper right abdominal tenderness and

Hi, I am experiencing upper right abdominal tenderness and pain. 4 months ago I had keyhole surgery for a severe and complicated hiatus hernia. My entire stomach was situated in my chest cavity and pressed on the left lung. A fundoplication was performed and I have recovered very well. The recent tenderness and pain seems to be associated with a very bloated feeling, gas and bad discomfort if eating too much. I am unable to eat the same size meals as before operation, due to smaller stomach. I am sleeping badly at night and keep getting colds and very slight fevers.
Are you able to help?

Nan

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Hi Nan,

What other medical problems do you have and what medications do you take? When did this pain start?

Customer:

Hi, the pain started some days ago. I am currently taking Tramadol for joint pain (rheumatoid arthritis and osteo arthritis) and also paracetamol.

Customer:

I also have started taking Omeprazol again, which I stopped taking post-op.

Customer:

I have moderately low thyroid function and take tabs for that.

RickMD :

Nan, At this point I think the best thing for you to do is to call your surgeon and have him take a look at you.

Customer:

Do you think it could be related to my recent surgery?

RickMD :

Given the extent of the surgery you needed just a few months ago I think this would be a lot safer then trying to deal with your new symptoms at home with the possibility of things just getting worse.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes it does... am thinking maybe it could be gall bladder trouble .. am I in 'the right area' painwise for that?

RickMD :

Yes. That is where your gallbladder is located.

Customer:

ok, and can that start up for no reason?

RickMD :

Yes. It sure can :(

RickMD :

But it could also be from a complication of your surgery, perhaps some scar formation causing difficulties etc.

Customer:

So, as I'm in Denmark, and it is midnight here, a call to my doctor in the morning would be wise?!

RickMD :

Best to have it checked out.

RickMD :

From what you have posted , I believe it would be safe to call your MD in the morning.

RickMD :

It is 5 pm here in Wisconsin USA.

Customer:

Thank you. Just hate to be pestering medical services for no reason!!

Customer:

Ah, is that Tuesday 29th?

RickMD :

I can assure you that you would not be pestering them :)

RickMD :

Yes.

RickMD :

You are from the future lol!

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

LOL... I sometimes think I was born in the wrong century... hadn't considered it was the future!!! lol

RickMD :

Exactly....

RickMD :

I hope you feel better soon.....

Customer:

I thank you and shall go and rate now. I am happy to wait 8 hrs to contact my 'real life' gp.

RickMD :

Sounds like a good plan. Take care.

I was just thinking about my friend from the future and wondering how you were feeling. What did your real-life MD find? I hope it was nothing serious and you are already feeling better.

Take care and have a good day.

Dr Rick MD FACS