Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My girlfriend was getting out of bed and twisted her torso.

My girlfriend was getting out of bed and twisted her torso. She immediately felt a pain on her right side. It appears it's a single rib that is causing her pain when she tries to move. It doesn't seem like the pain is diminishing. When she lies still she doesn't experience pain but a slight move or at the very end of a deep inhale causes her pain.Could she have cracked her rib or dislocated it? It doesn't appear to be protruding at all except for maybe a bit of swollenness.Can she expect that the pain will reduce if she relaxes? She is 23 years old.Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
While it is possible to crack a rib without direct trauma, this is very uncommon in otherwise healthy individuals this you.
It is more likely that this is the result of a pulled muscle.
If the pain is not relieved with over-the-counter pain medications (Tylenol, Advil) OR if she is having difficulty breathing she should be seen in the emergency room, urgent care clinic or a physician office.