Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have concurrent chest pain, head numbness, tinnitus, neck

I have concurrent chest pain, head numbness, tinnitus, neck fullness, hoarseness and shoulder ache flare ups lasting several days every week or two. I have written before about a dilated aorta. I have been diagnosed with hypertension, pulmonary sarcoid, neurosarcoid, possible liver sarcoid, pulmonary hypertension caused by diastolic dysfunction, and Polymyalgia. I also have bifascicular block. Diagnosis has included ecg, stress echo, stress RHC, LHC, Cardiopulmonary stress test, CT, CMRI, brain MRI, perfusion, endoscopy, 24 hr PH, Holter(occasional periods of bradycardia), lumbar puncture,an incredible number of blood tests and PFT's etc. the testing has been over a perdiod of 3 years. I have been told that despite the diagnosis's the degree of symptoms remain unexplained.

I am concerned about cardiac sarcoid but have been told (largely based on the CMRI) that I need not worry about it. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations re the possibility of cardiac sarcoid.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to assist you. Thank you for your patience.

Why do you believe you may be suffering from cardiac sarcoid?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really don't think I have cardiac sarcoid however it seems the risk is high:

-the data I have seen indicates cardiac sarcoid is not uncommon in patients with biopsy proven pulmonary sarcoid and the other heart conditions I have

-consequences of undiagnosed cardiac sarcoid can be severe

-the heart conditions I do have seem to have started at a time of high pulmonary sarcoid activity

-the symptoms I do have remain unexplained

I'm sorry to hear that, even after all you have been through, your symptoms remain unexplained.

it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are quite right, I have spent considerable time on this. I have been (and continue) going to a prominent university teaching hospital, to the Mayo, and to a midwest sarcoid specialist. I have seen cardiologists, pulmonologists, urologists, gastroenterologists, neurologists (I do have somewhat abnormal csf findings..), psychologist, liver specialist,
rheumatologists, ENT's,...

As one Dr (Mayo) said.."we are all looking for that 'aha' moment but perhaps things will need to get worse first".

Thanks for your help...