Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My adult son took a fall 2 weeks ago today and hit the back

My adult son took a fall 2 weeks ago today and hit the back of his head on concrete stairs. He did not pass out, but it was through determination not to as he knew there was no one there to help. He did end up with a very large goose egg though. He saw a doctor immediately who said he managed to hit the hardest part and that he might have a mild concussion. He had no symptoms for a week after. However for the past week, he has been getting headaches which while the intensity has not increased, he says the area of pain is getting bigger. He is not sleeping well and his mood has tanked. He does suffer from migraines and other headaches and is on medication for anxiety. I asked him to go see the doctor again today about the changes and he was given a prescription for sleeping pills. I'm confused and concerned particularily about the pills. Is this ok with a concussion? Should we be pushing on the Doctor or is this really a time heals situation. Thanks

What type of doctor did he see?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Family GP.

Thank you

Headaches following a head injury can be a symptom of post-concussion syndrome. There is no specific treatment (medicine, surgery, physical therapy), however REST is one of the most important things; both physical and mental rest.

In cases where a person is experiencing post-concussion symptoms, an evaluation by neurologist - preferably one who has an interest in concussion. Many hospital sports medicine programs offer specialized programs to evaluate people following concussions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your input. It confirms what I was thinking. But, what about the sleeping pills? My son did not take them last night, and I'm unsure if it is wise for him to take them right now.

Personally, I would NOT be prescribing sleeping pills in this situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thaks again. that's what I needed to hear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again, thank you for your input. I never did get the prescription for sleeping pills filled. He says his headache is getting better and his mood has improved, but he is still not sleeping well. He says he figures he gets 3hrs if he is lucky. Any suggestions as to what he could do to get some sleep?

Thank you for the update.

Honestly, I would not suggest any over-the-counter sleeping pills or herbal products. He does need checked by a neurologist if he is still having problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have suggested seeing another doctor, but he thinks I'm worrying too much. I will watch him and pull rank if I believe he is not continuing to improve. Thanks again for your input. It has helped me a great deal.