Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Hi, my sons psychiatrist prescribed him 6mlg of clonozapam,

Hi, my son's psychiatrist prescribed him 6mlg of clonozapam, which he has been taking for a couple of years already. I know that such a dose is illegal in this country. Is the psychiatrist breaking the law by prescribing him that dose? Also, does 6 mlg of clonozapam egual 6 mlg of zanax? Thanks
Is he taking the 6 mg all at one or through the day?

Was he started on this dose initially, or was the dose increased?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Through the day, 3 times a day. The dose was increased gradually.

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is FDA approved to treat both seizures and panic disorder. The maximum recommended dose for seizures is 20 mg and the maximum recommended dose for panic disorder is 4 mg.

These are the maximum "recommended" or "approved" doses. There is nothing "illegal" about a physician prescribing a dose higher than these doses in an appropriate clinical situation.

Clonazepam is a medication to which individuals develop tolerance; the same dose has less effect over time. For this reason, some patients do require doses higher than the dose formally approved by the FDA. The maximum doses approved by the FDA is the maximum dose that the manufacturer can advertise or promote, it is NOT the maximum dose that a physician can legally prescribe. Physicians prescribe medications "off label" on a regular basis. Once a drug is FDA approved, physicians can legally use the medications for conditions and in doses that do not have formal FDA approval. It is the drug company that is limited by the FDA approval in promoting the drug.