Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have a kidney transplant. Is a daily dose of lysine !1500

I have a kidney transplant. Is a daily dose of lysine !1500 mg; glutamine (2,000) mg and 1 teaspoon of nitrous oxide powder dangerous to my kidney?

Thanks.

FR
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Lysine glutamine and nitrous oxide are safe to take.

Mysticdoc :

They do not affect the kidneys.

Mysticdoc :

In fact, nitrous oxide may help to improve the blood circulation.

Mysticdoc :

The dosages you mentioned are safe to take daily.

Mysticdoc :

Glutamine is good for gastrointestinal health.

Mysticdoc :

Lysine also boosts your immunity.

Mysticdoc :

Lysine and glutamine are amnio acids.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

Thank you. Told me what I needed to know.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Thanks. Your comments were good, if they are correct. You deserve to be paid. .

Mysticdoc :

Very welcome

Mysticdoc :

Please rate the chat good or excellent. Thank you

Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.
I would have to respectfully XXXXX XXXXX the other experts reassurances about the safety of these supplements.

We do NOT have you complete medical history including your medications used to prevent rejection. Unfortunately, these anti-rejection medications have numerous reported interactions with drugs and supplements. It it essential that you discuss your plans to use these supplements or any other supplements with your transplant team. You should NEVER start a new drug or supplement without first checking with your transplant team. Some medications/supplements can reduce the blood level of your anti-rejection drugs which would then allow your own immune system to destroy the kidney. While the supplements may not damage the kidney directly, you want to be sure that there is no potential for interactions with your medications!.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As you see, I have received 2 opinions. One says the supplements I mentioned are perfectly fine. The second opinion says "Not so fast." The supplements may interact with the anti-rejection medicines I am taking so go talk to your kidney doctor. So what am I supposed to do? I'm right where I started. I think I have already paid $60. I don't think I should have to pay an additional $60. Do you agree? FR

I'm sorry the 2 answers appear to differ, but I would suggest that the difference is in detail.

There is no evidence that the supplements would damage your kidney directly. However, without your complete medical history, it is not possible (or appropriate) for any expert to give you reassurance that these supplements may not interact with the multiple medications I assume you are taking.

Most people do not understand that supplements do NOT have to undergo the same type of testing (including testing for interactions with other medications) required for prescription medications.

Your deposit remains in your account until you give a positive rating to a particular answer. You are under no obligation to accept (give a positive rating) to my answer. I felt it was important enough to add my answer to prevent a potential serious interaction with unknown medications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I understand your position. It's reasonable, and I don't want to quibble. If I give a favorable rating now, will I be paying $60 or $120, total? I think I already paid $60 on Sunday.

FR

Your deposit ($60) remains in your account until you give a positive rating for an answer. The deposit would then be applied to the question when/if you give a positive rating to an answer. You are not charged a second time (unless you were to give a 2nd answer a positive rating).

If you have questions about the billing/payment mechanism, I can ask customer service to follow up with you.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years