Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have recently moved to Indonesia (Male,age 63 ) with my family

I have recently moved to Indonesia (Male,age 63 ) with my family and suffer from recurrent diarrhoea (yellow) but no cramping, just had a stools test here in Bali which discounted bugs in the system (giardia, E coli etc) but not sure how reliable these would be, Have been coming to Bali for 26 years, always get this kind of problem but it seems to be persevering too long (5 weeks) and have lost 5 kg. despite okay appetite, only vey mild discomfort in tummy. Have feacal test for colon cancer every year in Australia, plus blood tests, so far negative. Have always had a very sensitive stomach, is exacerbated by coffee and alcohol. (Prob had a dose of Salmonella about 9 months ago, this is a very unclean environment) Had Helico bacter test & gascoscopy 5 yrs ago.(all negative) I'm an extremely tense/anxious person despite meditation etc; (always get diarrhoea prior to big presentations etc,) and have had two prolonged and fairly distressing Essential Myoclonus attacks over past 5 years. Had all Hep. etc shots about 4 months ago, apart from above feel in good health. Not sure if I should go to Singapore/Australia for tests or watch diet and wait it out as Iv'e done in the past, my body usually sorts it out.Many thanks for any advice.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Thank you for your very informative post.

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Thank you for your very informative post.
RickMD : Are you available to chat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm free to chat now

Ralph,

With your history of IBS it is possible that you are just having a flair up. Even though this has been going on for 5 weeks it might be useful for you to try some home therapy.

As you know, you should avoid foods that stimulate the intestines such as caffeine, large meals and low fiber foods. Also take loperamide to treat the diarrhea. Low dose tricyclic antidepressants can also relieve intestinal pain.

If these measures don't work then, yes, a trip to consult with the doctors in Singapore/Australia might be a good idea.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Rick, thanks for reply, I wasn't aware my sensitive stomach qualified as Irritable Bowel Syndrome when I had the Gascoscopy etc, it was more or less left up in the air.I suppose I was trying to eliminate any recognisably major medical problems, also could I have a celiac problem? Would IBS account for yellow diarrhoea?

Yes. The yellow tint to your diarrhea is from your normal bile. When you have diarrhea from rapid transit of your intestine contents the bile does not have enough time to be normally absorbed and processed and it causes this color.

It is not a sign of anything terrible...the color is just do to the bile, which is naturally yellowish.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Have a good day :-)
Oops! I missed part of your previous post. Sorry about that....

From what you have posted I do not think you have a celiac problem. But, if you do consult with a GI doctor in Singapore or Australia they would be able to fully investigate this issue for you. But, like I said, at this point, from what you have told me, I don't think you have to worry about this.

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC