Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

On the 21st of october i had a one night stand unprotected.

Customer Question

On the 21st of october i had a one night stand unprotected. I had a chlamydia and gonarea test right away which was negative. The clinic said to come back in two weeks due to being on penicillin. I then went back but i had azithromycin as i was panicking i could have caught something as im in a long term relationship. The test was negative, i also didnt have sex for that week whilst on medication. On the 16th november i taken azithromycin and cefixime also for gonarea again due to paranoia i didnt have sex until the 24th november. I went for a test on the 28th once again negative. I am now paranoid again as my girlfriend keeps complaining of lower back pain and she was poorly at christmas. i have also tested negative at three months for the bigger sti's. can you help as much as possible with this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

From your post it sounds like you dodged the bullet with your episode of unprotected sex. Given the test results you have had and the antibiotics you have taken I do not think you are infected.

RickMD :

As such, I do not think that your girlfriends lower back pain is due to you infecting her with a STD.

RickMD :

Of course, the only way to be 110% sure is to have her tested to STD's. I can understand how, if she does not know about your one night stand, this would be difficult.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

im just wanting to get on with things to be fair, it does make sense but its been over three months dont want complications to occur, i took the treatment to clear chlamydia and gonarae so wouldnt it be likely to have cleared even if i did have it? i just get worried over her

RickMD :

Yes. You are correct. The treatment you took would have cleared the infection no matter what. So, in either case you would be clear at this point.

RickMD :

I do not think you need worry about any complications at this point. I think you will be fine.

Customer:

how long does it take to get into system. i just get confused. I took the azithromycin within 2 weeks then i took azithromycin and cefixime between 3 and 4 weeks still abstained fromsex. could the infection have took 6 weeks to develop though or is that me being silly because surely the antibiotics i took would have prevented it if any and cured it. is that correct. thanks doc

Customer:

just read up on Pelvic I Disease and were trying for baby thats all dont want complications. she isnt pregnant as yet just dunno what back pain is about

Customer:

my doctor said considering im clear its best to leave things unsaid really

RickMD :

The medication would work right away even two weeks after you were infected. The infection would take less then 6 weeks to develop

RickMD :

You are correct. If you did not have sex with your girlfriend until a few days after starting your antibiotics you would not be expected to have passed any possible infection on to her.

RickMD :

But, once again, having her tested is the only way to be 100% sure.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

The back pain your girlfriend is having can be from lots of things that have nothing to do with STDs or PID

Customer:

yeh doc so do you think im clear really? she has had swelling inside her bum area and the docs couldnt even do anything thought it was piles but its only just gone down she itches it alot still. This was from july though nothing to do with me, told her to go docs though u think it could be related? she sometimes has pain during intercourse but has done a while long time cheers XXXXX XXXXX last question

RickMD :

Yes. I think you are really clear.

RickMD :

Piles makes sense from what you have said and I do not think they would be related to what you are going through. This also applies to the occasional pain she has during intercourse. And don't worry....I'm here to answer all your questions :)

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

found the dates doc, i took treatment on the 16th november and went for test on 28th is that enough time to have waited for retest, it also was negative? do i need another do you think or am i fine? would the results have been affected

Mark,

Thank you for that extra information.

Yes. I do believe you are fine.

You can relax at this point and continue with your normal sexual activity.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.