Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have a close friend that takes Ambien, but is aware of potential

I have a close friend that takes Ambien, but is aware of potential side affects. She would like to quit taking, but doesn't know how to safely go off of it AND what to take that would be a natural, effective sleep aid. She is forty, healthy, and active.
The use of Valerian root is popular in Europe as a natural and safe sleep remedy.Melatonin has been suggested as another supplement which would help in inducing sleep.Tapering of the Ambien gradually and addition of these supplements may ease the problem of insomnia.The benzodiazepine Zolpidem/Ambien is suggested for irregular and short term use in insomnia.If used regularly it may be addictive and difficult to leave.The use of Valerian root and melatonin may help her in this regard.She may need help from her PCP/Physician for tapering of the Ambien.