Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

What is a flake fracture of the foot, please as I have two

What is a flake fracture of the foot, please as I have two broken bones in my foot and I am still walking on it, my specialist said no to plaster etc-: in case you are wondering I did have a c.t. scan done and the breaks are confirmed.
This occured in the same leg as I will be having a full Knee replacement done later in the year my specialist says "that I must hate my right leg" and he hopes nothing else happens, after what I have been through,A gall bladder op that went wrong, final outcome 4 yrs later 3 incisonal operations later. but that is another tale for another time.
Thank-you for your time.
You can contact me at this XXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Love the Show.
Australia.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using this site. I am Dr Ken and would do the best I can to answer your question.

Do not forget - The deposit you placed to asked this question in not used to compensate me until you rate my answer. Please remember when you are asked for rating, you are rating 'My Service' and not the site itself or your device.

Can you give me the CT scan report?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Findings.

A spiral ct scan was performed with reconstruction in the sagittal and coronal planes. There is a flake fracture of the talus. There is also a fracture noted to involve the lateral and anterior aspects of the calcaneus with no evidence of union. Their is no associated trabecular or periosteal

new bone formation and this fracture is comminuted there is a healing fracture noted to involve the lateral malleolus. There is a well corticated bone fragment in relation to the posterior aspect of the talo-tibal joint reflective of and intra-articular loose body.

this is the jist of the report.

Thank=you

Julie.

Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Hello Julie,

Thank you for the report.

Flake fracture is the fracture at the talus {osteochondral}. It involves the ostium as well as the chondral part. It is generallly a small defect. It can be mainly of two types - with displacement of the fractured fragment or without any displacement. I assume there was no displacement in your case. This type of fracture does not need surgical intervention. Few things are needed - stabilizing the foot {may be by an elastic bandage}/ non weight bearing for atleast 6 weeks/ analgesics for pain. Follow-up x rays are needed to see for healing or development of complications like necrosis or osteochondritis dissecans. If I were you i would get MRI foot to see for more details on the adjoing bone/ bone bruise or edema/ ligaments at the foot.

Did your doctor not ask to avoid weight bearing on the foot?
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.

Next step - MRI for foot. Discussion with your bone doctor regarding non weightbearing. As of now stop weight bearing on the foot concerned. Raise the foot whenever possible/ raise the leg part of your bed.

Wish you well.

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more detail. If you feel the need to click either " Bad service" or "Helped a little", please stop and reply via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to explain more on the specific concern.

Best
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ken.

No to both your tips not me,surgeon and doctor never mentioned it. as to the weight bearing no can do as one of us has to be mobile, mum has a back problem that requires surgery at some stage, and as there is only two of us someone has to do the carrying lifting etc:-(, when I get a free moment then I put my feet up.

Thankyou for your response.

Yours' Sincerly.

Julie.

Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Hello Julie,

I do understand the circumstances.

Discuss this with your doctor {you may wish to show a print out of our conversation}. I am happy that your are keeping your leg up when ever possible. Also - raise the leg part of your bed. I am worried of complications like osteochondritis dissecans if proper healing does not occur.

Best