Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a hard lump at the top my windpipe on the right side.

I have a hard lump at the top my windpipe on the right side. I already have an appointment scheduled with my doctor, just curious what the possibilities are
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello form JA
Sounds like it is in the area of a sub-mandibular gland.
This can be swollen due to infection.
They can get stones.

It might also be a lymph not, inflamed from infection.

Only an exam will narrow this down.

I can not see exactly where it is, but a thyroid nodule also needs to be ruled out.

Let me know if you have further questions. If you have any concerns just use reply to expert until you are ready to rate a positive for your satisfaction..

Please click on one of the positive ratings [smiley faces]: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It feels like an extension of my wind pipe, just a little larger and a bit sore. Should I be worried its cancerous? I'm a bit of a hypocondriac. What questions should I ask my physician?

Sorry I am not going to be able to help you further
I will opt out so another expert can help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am a cancer doctor.

I assume you are talking about your voice box or your larynx.

your wind pipe is your trachea and this is the hard cartilage ringed tube which brings air into your lungs which is below your voice box.

a hard lump above your voice box or larynx is most likely the hyoid bone.

here is a photo

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/hyoid.html

is this what you are referring to when you are talking about your wind pipe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry, anatomy really isn't my thing. I guess im talking about my trachea? The long tube in my neck. The lump is right under my jaw on the long tube.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
most likely you are feeling your voice box or your larynx.

some people call this the adams apple as well.

or it could be the hyoid bone which is right above the adams apple.

these are both normal parts of your neck anatomy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok my question is about my esophagus. I apologize. It is directly beneath my jaw line on my right side.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the esophagus is soft and can not be felt.

if you are feeling something hard, then most likely you are feeling bone like the hyoid bone or the larynx which is the voice box.

you might even be feeling the top of the trachea which is below the voice box which has cartilage rings which can feel hard as well.

does this help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why would one side be hard and the other soft?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it is hard to know without examining you.

it could be because your hyoid bone is asymmetric.

it could be because part of your larynx is asymmetric.

the ultrasound would be able to confirm this for sure.

it sounds like you are quite worried about this.

I know you said that you are a bit of a hypocondriac. but I don't think you should let your anxieties get the best of you.

you should see your doctor and get an exam and possible ultrasound of your neck.

but I bet everything will be completely normal.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.