Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had a endoscopy 4 weeks ago which was totally Normal. I didnt

I had a endoscopy 4 weeks ago which was totally Normal. I didn't have heartburn before. After the endoscopy I started getting heartburn and stomach burning. Could the endoscopy have caused this or it's a coincidence?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How soon after the endoscopy did you start to notice the problems?

RickMD :

Why did you have the endoscopy done?

Customer: Burping and acid in the throat sometimes
Customer: Never heartburn in the chest
Customer: Started noticing it next day or so. Then burning stomach 2 weeks after
RickMD :

ok

Customer: Ten heartburn got worse
RickMD :

It is possible that the endoscopy traumatized your esophagus although, since this is done under direct observation I would think that the doctor would have known if anything out of the ordinary had happened.

RickMD :

It sounds like your reflux is getting worse. Why? That is the bazillion dollar question.

RickMD :

I think, from what you have posted, that you should give your GI doc a call in the morning and see if she will take a look at you to see what is going on.

RickMD :

As you know, continued reflux can damage your esophagus and cause all sorts of long term problems

Customer: Ok seems about right. I. Was just nervous to go back seeing as I felt a direct relationship with getting worse with his procedure
Customer: And he said everything was normal
Customer: So I assumed he might have screwed something up
RickMD :

I don't think he screwed things up....since there is such direct, visual control at all times with endoscopy it is really hard to mes it up :)

RickMD :

But it does sound like your problem is worse and I'm sure that it can be effectively treated

Customer: Ok thank u for your advice
Customer: Oops I clicked the wrong button
Customer: How do I change to excellent sorry
RickMD :

OOps! You can just click excellent and it will void the bad service post. Thanks for noticing :)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC