Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I just had an ultrasound a week and 1/2 ago that showed no

Customer Question

I just had an ultrasound a week and 1/2 ago that showed no stones or thickening of the walls of the gall bladder, and blood tests this week which show normal levels my doctor said. I also had a hydascan about 18 months ago that showed ejection at 90% when I started having these episodes. However, the last couple of weeks I have had an episode every 2 or 3 days and it is very painful. I've had it before and then I can go 6 months and nothing no matter what I eat. Should I ask for more tests? My grandmother died of a rare gall bladder cancer I am told. Should I pursue this more? Also, 18 months ago I had an where they put you out kind of and do down your throat and take a sample of your stomach and they look at your esophogus. That was all normal and no evidence of damage the doctor said. I also the same week had a colonoscopy and it was normal. I am now 46 going on 47 shortly. I have read a lot on the internet and it scares me. Please help. I do not want to have another test where they go down my throat, that was awful! I have pain on my right side under my right breast and directly through to my back at the same spot.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How long has this been going on for?

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

For about 18 months or so on and off and I take ativan and I am now taking 40 mg prilosec to see if that would help but it is not. I also have had this thing where my mouth waters alot the past couple of months.

RickMD :

Ok

RickMD :

It sounds like you have had a very complete workup. At this point if you also suffered from the same rare cancer that your Grandmother had it would have been found by now, so I don't think you have to worry about issue at this point.

RickMD :

I don't, however, like the fact that you are still having pain.

RickMD :

Well, it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Customer:

I guess. But last night I had pretty had pain for a couple of hours and all I had all day was some saltine crackers, a small piece of steak, spinach and a baked potato with very little butter.

RickMD :

It seems like the chat system is being a bit slow this evening......

RickMD :

Something is going on then because you shouldn't have pain like that from eating. Although, as you know, the butter could be an issue with GB problems.

RickMD :

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I live about 40 minutes from the Cleveland Cinic and have insurance to cover them

RickMD :

You would get fantastic care there........

RickMD :

I'd gather up all your records and test results and consult with them

Customer:

Ok I will make an appointment. Do you think it is my gall bladder?

RickMD :

From what you have posted and your symptoms it very well could be. On the other hand, you've already had an excellent workup. I think you will find that the doctors at the Cleveland Clinic will leave no stone unturned in getting to the bottom of what is causing your continued pain.

RickMD :

Sometimes private practice MDs get too busy to

Customer:

ok

RickMD :

"think outside the box"

RickMD :

Good luck.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I was just thinking about you and wondering if you have had a chance to be evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic. I hope you are feeling better already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an appt at the Cleveland Clinic February 4th. Thank you for following up. And yes, so far no other problems!

That is excellent news. You sure did get in fast!

Let me know what they have to say and best of luck :-)

Take care.

Dr Rick MD FACS