Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have been losing weight through diet and excercise. I eat

I have been losing weight through diet and excercise. I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day. For the last couple of months I have been having issues when I stand up where I get dizzy. Sometimes it can even be to the point it gets hard to see. I had to sit back down one time because it was so bad.

I talked to a nurse about it and told me it was probably just my bp dropping when I stand up to quickly. My question is do I need to worry about this, is there anything to treat it, or do I just need to start being careful.

I'm 6'1" and 205lbs.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer: I have a herniated disc at l4 and l5 but no other problems. And no medication.
RickMD :

ok

RickMD :

I agree with the RN.....low BP could be the cause.

RickMD :

For the short term, standing up slowly is a good idea, however it would best to get in to your primary care MD for a quick check just to be sure.

RickMD :

It is possible that with your calorie restriction that your body is getting a bit out of wack (a medical term lol!). It wouldn't be such a bad idea to just check things out while you are doing such a good job of decreasing your weight.

Customer: Ok. I had a check up back in sept and they did a CBC and some other test and everything came back fine. I was able to get my bp taken today at work at a health screening and it was 116/70.
RickMD :

that is a very good BP, but one measurement does not tell the whole story. Were you having these symptoms in Sept when you were seen?

Customer: If it is my bp, is there anything that can be done, or is it possible there is a underlying problem.
RickMD :

I do not like the fact that you have experienced episodes where your vision started to be affected. You were pretty close to hitting the floor at that point :)

Customer: In Sept I was not i don't believe. Think the started in October and started getting worse in late November.
RickMD :

I would say that there is an underlying problem...but the good thing about modern medicine? We can fix a lot of these underlying issues once we figure out what is going on.

RickMD :

Also, since they are getting worse that is also your body saying "take me to your doctor"

Customer: Yeah it felt like I was getting close to passing out. Having never passed out before I'm just guessing on that feeling but it is what I shine it would feel like.
RickMD :

Better safe then sorry, especially when you are making such good progress on your overall health/body weight

Customer: Yeah. 70 lbs down so far.
RickMD :

What would happen if this occurred when you were driveing?

RickMD :

Excellent work. I wish I had your success.....I could use taking off 60 lbs myself.

Customer: That would be bad. So far it has only ever happened when I stand up and usually after dinner is the worst time. Hardly ever have any problems with this before 5pm or so.
RickMD :

That is very interesting. If you could keep a journal of when it happens and how you feel that would be very helpful to your doctor.

Customer: Ok I'll do that and call tomorrow and get an appointment on the books with my primary care doctor.
RickMD :

Sounds like an excellent plan. Have a good evening

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Hi Nick,

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the doctor found. I hope everything is ok and you are feeling better.