Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have been losing weight through diet and excercise. I eat

I have been losing weight through diet and excercise. I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day. For the last couple of months I have been having issues when I stand up where I get dizzy. Sometimes it can even be to the point it gets hard to see. I had to sit back down one time because it was so bad.

I talked to a nurse about it and told me it was probably just my bp dropping when I stand up to quickly. My question is do I need to worry about this, is there anything to treat it, or do I just need to start being careful.

I'm 6'1" and 205lbs.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer: I have a herniated disc at l4 and l5 but no other problems. And no medication.
RickMD :

ok

RickMD :

I agree with the RN.....low BP could be the cause.

RickMD :

For the short term, standing up slowly is a good idea, however it would best to get in to your primary care MD for a quick check just to be sure.

RickMD :

It is possible that with your calorie restriction that your body is getting a bit out of wack (a medical term lol!). It wouldn't be such a bad idea to just check things out while you are doing such a good job of decreasing your weight.

Customer: Ok. I had a check up back in sept and they did a CBC and some other test and everything came back fine. I was able to get my bp taken today at work at a health screening and it was 116/70.
RickMD :

that is a very good BP, but one measurement does not tell the whole story. Were you having these symptoms in Sept when you were seen?

Customer: If it is my bp, is there anything that can be done, or is it possible there is a underlying problem.
RickMD :

I do not like the fact that you have experienced episodes where your vision started to be affected. You were pretty close to hitting the floor at that point :)

Customer: In Sept I was not i don't believe. Think the started in October and started getting worse in late November.
RickMD :

I would say that there is an underlying problem...but the good thing about modern medicine? We can fix a lot of these underlying issues once we figure out what is going on.

RickMD :

Also, since they are getting worse that is also your body saying "take me to your doctor"

Customer: Yeah it felt like I was getting close to passing out. Having never passed out before I'm just guessing on that feeling but it is what I shine it would feel like.
RickMD :

Better safe then sorry, especially when you are making such good progress on your overall health/body weight

Customer: Yeah. 70 lbs down so far.
RickMD :

What would happen if this occurred when you were driveing?

RickMD :

Excellent work. I wish I had your success.....I could use taking off 60 lbs myself.

Customer: That would be bad. So far it has only ever happened when I stand up and usually after dinner is the worst time. Hardly ever have any problems with this before 5pm or so.
RickMD :

That is very interesting. If you could keep a journal of when it happens and how you feel that would be very helpful to your doctor.

Customer: Ok I'll do that and call tomorrow and get an appointment on the books with my primary care doctor.
RickMD :

Sounds like an excellent plan. Have a good evening

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Nick,

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the doctor found. I hope everything is ok and you are feeling better.