Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am 66 years old. I just purchased the NutriBullet which

Customer Question

I am 66 years old. I just purchased the NutriBullet which is an extractor. Not a juicer or blender. A morning nutriblast typically would consist of a handful of raw spinach, a little fruit and possibly some nuts and then add a bit of water and use the extractor. Then drink it. In the booklet it gives a warning to check with your doctor before using this if you are taking blood pressure medication or antidepressants. I take 50 milligrams of Sertraline (Zoloft)a day and 100 milligrams of metropolol once a day for high blood pressure. Why would there be a possible problem drinking a nutriblast concoction as indicated above while on these medications? I was shocked to see the warning in the booklet. I haven't used the appliance yet but thought I needed to ask this question to a health care professional first. Please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
Some foods can have interactions with anti hypertensives and anti depressants.

Many people on antihypertensives will also be taking statins, which can be dangerous with grapefruit. Similarly, some classes of antidepressants like MAOI's can interact with foods like cheese, wine, etc.

This general warning is a safety precaution.

The foods you mention for the morning - spinach, fruits and dates - would not interact with the medicines that you take.

But it is still advisable in general to discuss with your doctor if you are taking prescription medicines before starting on any new diet, and that is the purport of this warning.

You can start this new diet for now, but do discuss with your doctor ASAP.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a happy face on the row of faces below to give me an 'excellent/good service' rating. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credited from the site for the time and care I have taken with your answer. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.