Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had a hair transplant on Thursday January 10 from 7:30 to

I had a hair transplant on Thursday January 10 from 7:30 to 4:30. It is now monday the 14.. This was a $10,000 procedure by one of the best hair transplant doctors in the country. He has awards, gives speeches, teaches at a major university, and for fun works at an ER , to keep himself satisfied because he loves the rush, as I have been told. The technicians and doctor agreed that I have a great scalp and that they were amazed at how fast I was healing during the procedure, even though I was still bleeding badly. They also mentioned that most people lose about 10% of blood and he felt I had only lost 5% of blood. I suffer from OCD and my major fear is getting HIV through some incredibly irrational route. So when I have open wounds my psychological state alters. OCD and the fear of HIV came into my life when I was 23. I was told one who has ocd is born with it, but it didn't become a major intrusion into my life until I was 23. Now I'm 30. Even though i am incredibly liberal and love all people, at one point I was so homophobic I could't be around gay people, touch anything without gloves, or function. Those days are long gone since I have gotten the best help money can buy. When I was 23 I went away for 6 months to a OCD clinic.
Back to my surgury/plugs which won't be seen when my hair grows in because of todays technology. . I was told that within 4 days I should be healed. My donor, where they cut the hair is still tender as expected and stitched. I'm not so worried about that because the bleeding stopped from the back of my head within 2 days from where they took the hair follicles out aka donar. I'm worried about the top of my head were they inserted the new hair follicles and where I can see the little punctures. I haven't touched them because I was told not to. I was told that they would begin to scab and start to itch and that I should by no means scratch. However, They haven't started to itch and I don't know if they have scabbed because I can't tell or touch. They just look like little razor cuts all over my head. My question is that since it was done on thursday and today is onday, do you believe my plugs are beginning to heal, scab, etc? I had it done thursday. So I claim that this is my 4th day of healing. Friday, saturday, sunday, monday. 4 days. When I have cuts my mind alters, one thing I am still working on with my behavioral specialist. DO you think the plugs on the top of my head are healing, scabbed, and protected from being contaminated by anything? I was giving bottles and bottles of spray, special gel, special shampoo, conditioner, and medicated wet wraps to put on my head in the am when I wake up and pm before I go to bed.
Do you think after 4 days, my plugs are starting to heal and that they are no longer "open wounds" where I could get contaminated? Also I was told not to drink alcohol after the day of the procedure because It thins the blood. I'm home recovering. Could I have a few drinks?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. congrats on the new hair :)

I am a surgeon and, yes, by now the cuts made in your scalp should be healing well and have a good scab on them. This progression of the healing and the presence of the scab will protect you from anything getting into your system.

Continue to use the spray, special gel, shampoo and conditioner along with the wet wraps as your hair transplant surgeon directed.

You are correct. At this time I would not consider your plugs to be open wounds. You should be fine at this point.

I do not see any reason that you could not have one or two normal mixed drinks or beers at this point. Of course, the safest thing to do would be to contact your surgeons office and confirm this with them.

My Uncle had hair transplants done about 8 years ago and is very happy with the results. Hopefully you will experience the same outcome.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you think that after 4 days my scalp has begun to heal and what appears to be little dots are actually scabs developing? I thought by now i would experience more itching. I was even told that some may fall off. They may have, but i do not know. I have had no itching on the top of my head. Is that an indication that it is not healing? I was told to spay my head every hour with the medical spray that helps healing. The first two nights I had trouble sleeping. As a result, I was up all night and I was using the spray every hour. I went through the bottle that was suppose to last a week in 2 days. I was told that keeping it moist was the best method in helping it heal. The main ingredient is Copper Peptide. What does that do? A person from the hospital, who is now unavailable, actually brought a 2nd bottle to my house after 2 days. Could I be using to much? It really relieves the slightest of pain, even though this surgery was the most pain free operation I have every had. Also my first cosmetic surgery.

That is a very good question and, yes, I think that the little dots are the scabs. Not everyone gets the itching so I'd not worry about that.

I do not think that you have damaged anything by using the spray as much as you have done. I would just use less at this point so that it lasts.

I think what may be going on at this point is a bit of your OCD...what do you think?

Just relax and get ready to enjoy your new hair :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC