Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

HI DOC, PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE RE WHAT TREATMENT I SHOULD DO

HI DOC, PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE RE WHAT TREATMENT I SHOULD DO , I HAD A RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY IN 2000 ,FOR 5 YRS AFTER THE OP. LOW PSA READINGS THEN SINCE 2005 MY COUNT WENT UP TO 17.91 IN JAN 2013 ... SINCE 2005 MY UROLOGIST TREATED ME WITH VARIOUS TYPES OF INJECTIONS IE. ZOLADEX +_ 4 TIMES BUT THIS WAS STOPPED BECAUSE I WENT IN DEPRESION SO MUCH THAT I TAKE MEDICATION UP TO DATE.
THE NEXT TREATMENT WAS BICOLOX TABLETS FOR THE PAST 12 MONTHS RESULTING IN VERY SENSITIVE AND ENLAGED BREASTS , I AM UNSURE WHO I SHOULD SEE WITH MY CURRENT PSA READING (BICOLOX WAS PRESCRIBED BY A ONCOLOGIST )
I WILL BE 73 YRS OF AGE IN APR 2013..
WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF I SHOULD DECIDE NOT TO TAKE ANY FURTHER TREATMENT ????
I SUPPOSE THIS IS A DUM QUESTION BUT I AM WONDERING .....

THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME READING MY STORY..

J M DE BRUIN
The rise of PSA levels is indeed a serious matter,especially after a prostatectomy.The gynaecomastia and breast tenderness could be attributed to the Bicalcutamide/Bicalox which is known to cause breast enlargement and tenderness as a side effect.The possibility of return of localised prostrate cancer in the remaining prostrate tissue,lymph nodes and seminal vesicles is there as is the possibility of distant metastasis.This possibility as per a John Hopkin study is 30 % for local recurrence and 705 for distant metastasis.It would be best to discuss the matter with your oncologist and urologist who can investigate the matter in detail and identify the cause.It would be prudent to follow the advice of your doctor/Oncologist in this matter.
http://urology.jhu.edu/newsletter/prostate_cancer411.php is a site of interest.