Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I accidentally took a double dose of my prozac approximately

I accidentally took a double dose of my prozac approximately 10 hours apart. My normal dose is 60 mg which I took in the morning. I then took another 60mg about ten hours later on accident. So the total mg's I took was `120mg over a ten hour period. Is this considered an overdose or dangerous?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

are you having any symptoms now?

Customer:

Customer:

No symptoms yet

Dr. P Jyoti :

excuse me for a minute, I'll be back in one minute

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Customer:

Hi

Dr. P Jyoti :

the maximum dose for prozac is 80 mg/day

Dr. P Jyoti :

so you have exceeded the maximum dose in fact

Dr. P Jyoti :

but still you are not in any grave danger as this dose would not really put you to grave risk

Customer:

What should I do?

Dr. P Jyoti :

you should not have any problems even with this dose specially since you took it after 10 houts

Dr. P Jyoti :

hours

Dr. P Jyoti :

a wait and watch policy would be sufficient for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you live alone?

Customer:

Should I start with my regular dosage of60 mg tomorrow at my regular time? I don't live alone.

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok, its good that you do not live alone

Dr. P Jyoti :

in that case you must inform your family members that you have been exposed to this slight overdose so that they are also aware

Dr. P Jyoti :

the symptoms to watch out for are:

Dr. P Jyoti :

• Drowsiness

• Nausea

• Fast heart rate (tachycardia)

• Vomiting.

Dr. P Jyoti :

and most importantly,

Dr. P Jyoti :

Seizures

Dr. P Jyoti :

be aware of these symptoms and also make your family members aware of this

Dr. P Jyoti :

not that you are expected to develop them but you should be aware

Dr. P Jyoti :

any signs of any uncomfortableness and you should report to the ER

Customer:

If I get any of these symptoms what should I do?

Dr. P Jyoti :

you can also discuss on the poison hotline

Dr. P Jyoti :

but generally with these precautions and awareness you can follow a wait and watch policy at home

Dr. P Jyoti :

remember that you have to give a positive rating at the end of the conversation so that i get credit for the time and care taken with you. It is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating

Dr. P Jyoti :

also for tomorrow, you should not take tomorrow's dose, you must skip it

Dr. P Jyoti :

begin with the normal dose the day after tomorrow

Customer:

When would these syptoms occur if at all?

Dr. P Jyoti :

actually they occur at much higher doses

Dr. P Jyoti :

and when the overdose is taken altogether

Dr. P Jyoti :

they would occur within 1 to 3 hours

Dr. P Jyoti :

but can occur in upto 6-8 hours

Customer:

If the synptoms do occur what should I do?

Dr. P Jyoti :

you will have to go to the ER immediately

Dr. P Jyoti :

so do make some arrangements

Dr. P Jyoti :

but like i said, with your level of exposure it is not at all likely that you will develop these overdose symptoms

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help. It put my mind at ease

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care - do watch out for the symptoms

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.