Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hello. Recently Ive developed a weird feeling and twitching

Hello. Recently Ive developed a weird feeling and twitching in my pinky ( it started in one but now has moved to the other hand), and a bit of a stiff wrist. Occasionally it is difficult to move.my pinky, or other parts of my hand, I dont have any pain though. I was wonderinf what the chances are that this could be ALS? I have been assured by family and friends that Im fine and just worry too much as Im a hypochondriac. If it helps I am 20 years old and Im a college athlete.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

The chances that the symptoms you are experiencing are a due to ALS are so small as to not even be worth worrying about.

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning while sitting in your living room then having ALS.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

I would like to take a moment and point out that you have asked, and had answered, over 20 questions on this site but yet you have only given your expert positive feedback three times. As you well know positive feedback is how we, the experts, are compensated for helping you.

If you continue not giving positive feedback I will need to report you to the moderators so that they can take action.

Just a friendly reminder.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I just wasnt sure because I have been twitching and experiencing stiffness and I wasnt sure why. My friend died from ALS a few years ago and I was worried about it. Thank you and Ill be sure to rate your service
My pleasure.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick. I was curious about what the likelihood is that I could have gotten ALS from the 3 gardasil shots that I received over the summer (with the last being in October). My friend that died from it had a rare form of it and they believe it may have been caused by either the gardasil, or Depo-shot. I can't remember which though. My arm is feeling a little stiff and crampy but that may be because of my lifting routine as well. I'm not sure if this is any cause for new concern but I was just curious. Thanks again for your help

Julian,

I do not think that the chances of getting ALS from gardasil or depo shot is very likely at all......I'd not worry about this.

The feelings you are having in your arm are not, in my mind, a reason for new concern.

Now that you know how much fun it is to mash the positive feedback button please feel free to give it another poke :-)

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD