Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hello. I was wondering how likely it is that runners can get

Hello. I was wondering how likely it is that runners can get ALS. I appear to have weakness/stiffness/twitching in my left pinky. I was wondering if this is any indicator of ALS? It functions pretty normally, but twitches occasionally, and in general feels weaker than my other one, especially sometimes when I try to hold objects in that hand. Is it at all likely that this can be a sign of something serious that I should get checked out, or am I just worrying too much (I am a hypochondriac)? Any help would be appreciated.
Running, and being an athlete in general, will not lead to this very rare neurological disease.

From what you have posted the symptoms you are experiencing are not a sign of ALS. A visit to your MD should confirm this.

You have nothing to fear.

Also, in reviewing your history here online I noticed that you have asked a lot of questions but not provided positive feedback on the majority of them.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Its just an uncomfortable twitching/ weakness feeling so I was curious. And I will make sure to rate your answer
My pleasure.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.