Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Good Morning, I have a complex question which may have a simplistic

Good Morning, I have a complex question which may have a simplistic answer. Part one. It is my understanding that in the state of CA you cannot have guns returned after a 5150 no matter how compliant the pt was with police at the time. My two part question relates to a 5150 dx also. if a pt is not held for a 72h hold but police were involved is it still labeled as a 5150? This individual was given depakote ER and license was revoked due to another medical issue that is questionable. However, how long would it normally take for someone to regulate on this Rx? 4-6 weeks or longer to get an accurate reading? He is indigent and is it possible for someone who may be manic depressive along with seizures to have issues with alcohol while taking this medication?
Thank you for your time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.

Has he had any past legal issues related to guns or made any threats of violence?

Why were the police involved in the 5150? What was the diagnosis at the time of involuntary admission?

What were the courts findings after 72 hours?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is my understanding that he has not had legal issues with the law before. His ex-girlfriend called the 5150 as a precautionary measure; although he states he was not depressed or suicidal. I was told he was extremely compliant with police and due to the situation at hand (which apparently was his girlfriend just being overly concerned because he just said "forget it I'm done with all of this {meaning he had his guns}; she took it upon herself to report him.} The police showed up took all of his guns but left the magazines and took him into the closest facility. He was handed samples of Depakote ER and released in 24h. They did not hold him for 72h. As of a couple of weeks ago, and I have not looked at the police report, the judge reissued his weapons without and disregard. There was never a Dx and apparently the police were just following procedure. He did not have any d/c paperwork, police report number or anything from the department.

So, it is my understanding that the puzzle pieces I am putting together there are a few missing. They revoked his drivers license b/c of a medical condition, some seizure he had back in 2005 and then had a syncope episode at home in November 2012. So he can reapply for his Drivers License in Feb. as long as he is seizure free for 3 months. However, it is my understanding that b/c he does not have insurance he is not being followed by a neurologist. This leads me to a point of concern, he is only 180 lbs and this person he saw in Nov. 2012 has Rx Depakote ER 500mg B.I.D. He cannot function. He sleeps all day, cannot work and you cannot wake him up if he is sleeping. In addition, he is taking a beta blocker, Lopressor 50mg a day.

So is it possible to get a copy of the psychiatry medical records to see what the actual dx was at the time of admission? It all just doesn't sound right and there are like I sated puzzle pieces missing.

Thank you for your time

You are correct. There are gaping holes in the story. Many pieces don't make sense either, such as being sent home with a handful of depakote and no followup.

Due to HIPPA regulations, which are even more strict when it comes to mental health records, the only way for you to obtain this persons medical records is if he gives you written permission. The police and court records are public information (unless sealed by the Judge) and you should be able to get those.

That being said if the Judge did indeed specifically release his guns/weapons back to him then he can have them

To answer your other question he needs to be under a psychiatrists care while on depakote and he needs to stay away from alcohol with history.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC