Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

This is my mri result: mild cervical spondylosis at c3/c4,

This is my mri result: mild cervical spondylosis at c3/c4, moderate cervical spondylosis and disc degeneration at c4/c5 and marked cervical spondylosis and disc generation at c5/c6 and c6/c7 - worst at the c5/c6 level.
At c4/c5 there is moderate central and right posterolateral disc osteophyte complex with moderate narrowing of the right lateral recess. the left lateral recess at c4/c5 is mildly narrowed.
At C5/C6 there is a fairly large right posterolsteral disc osteophyte which markedly narrows the right lateral recess. At C6/C7 there are moderate right and left posterolateral disc osteophyte complexes and the left posterolateral disc osteophyte complex is much larger. There is marked narrowing of the left lateral recess and moderate narrowing of the right lateral recess at C6/C7.
There is no compression of the cervical spinal cord.
Incidentally at T1/T2 there is a small central subligamentous disc protrusion noted.
The spinal cord from C1 to T4 shows normal size and signal intensity.
There is loss of normal cervical lordosis.
There are small lipomatous foci noted in the bodies of T1 and T3.

I have numbness, tingling and sometimes feel radiating heat in my right arm. I am wondering if my condition is treatable and what form of conservative treatment will be best for me (2nd opinion). The neurosurgeon I saw said I should be seeing an orthopedic specialist. My neurosurgeon suggested some physio and orak medication.
The report suggests the narrowing of the passage available for the right sided spinal nerve roots at C4-C5,C5-C6 and C6-C7.This will lead to compression of the nerve roots and Radiculitis of the nerve roots C5,C6 and C7 on the right side.This can cause the symptoms of numbness and tingling of the right arm.Management of this problem involves home exercises,semihard cervical collar,rest,anti-inflammatory and analgesic medication like Ibubrufen and physiotherapy.If there is no relief within 6 weeks,the option of CervicalEpidural Steroid Injections(CESI) done under fluoroscpy may help relieve the symptoms.Use of stronger/narcotic analgesics like Tramadol may be needed if pain is severe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr.

Thank you for your answer. I have only one question . Will the condition be improved after the oral medications, rest or physio and is this something I have to take or do on a permanent basis?

Thank you.

The oral medication and exercises/physiotherapy will help reduce the symptoms.You may also need to restrict your physical activity like lifting of weights and neck movement(by using a cervical collar).For permanent relief it may be necessary for surgical intervention to remove the pressure on the nerve roots in the cervical spine.Your Neurosurgeon will be the best person to guide you about the surgical options if there is no relief after 6-8 weeks of conservative therapy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr.,

Thank you.

You are welcome.