Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

. I have pain in what appears to be varicose veins

. I have pain in what appears to be varicose veins in the operated-upon leg.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the Moderator for this topic I noticed you have requested Dr Abby, however, she has not been online in a very long while..I have opened your question to other Professionals so that your question can be answered. If I can help further, please let me know:-)

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today. Thank you for your patience.

It would be helpful if you could give me a little bit more information....

When was the surgery on the leg?

What type of surgery did you have?

How long ago was the surgery?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

What have you tried so far to help with the discomfort?

I look forward to your reply.

Dr. Rick, MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Surgery was 10/24: a right hip replacement. I take the "usual" meds any 63 year old gal takes--Lipitor, baby aspirin, Synthroid(complete thyroidectomy in 1984)....

'Took Advil for a little while for other leg discomfort, upon the advice of my Surgeon (apparently, he thought the prob was muscular)-it helped for a time, but now i have THIS....it is not AWFUL, just Something i would like an opinion upon.

Aren't you an Opthalmologist, though?

.
Sorry about that...the gremlins in the computer ate my answer above. :( Let me retype it....

Ya. You caught me. :-) I must confess....I am an ophthalmologist.

Would you prefer to speak to a vascular surgeon or an internist instead? I see that Dr. Abby is still not available. If not, I would be happy to assist you.

Let me know what you would like to do.

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is OK that you are an "Eye Guy..." at leasrt you WANT to help and are RESPONSIVE!!

I saw my Internist yesterday and mentioned this-he said it was NOT from varicose veins, but more likely was hip-related.

In view of that, do you suggest Advil? How often and for how long(and at what dosage: 600mgs.?)?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

More eye questions MAY be on the way!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

Advil is a very good choice. You can take 400 to 800 mg every 6 to 8 hours as needed. Taking with food or milk can help prevent stomach upset if necessary.

Advil is a fairly safe medication that has a very low risk of serious side effects. You can really take advil safely for as long as needed as long as your MD is monitoring you for the rare, but sometimes serious, side effects. The botXXXXX XXXXXne: Tell your MD you are taking advil and the chances are you will be OK.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

I look forward to helping you again in the future.....especially when it comes to any ophthalmic issues you may have :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so very much for getting back to me so quickly:i am not used to that anymore :(

I DID MENTION to my Internist about the Advil, and he nodded, kinda absent-mindedly....so i suppose 600mgs. WHEN pain strikes would be OK, as long as i eat w/it?

Now for the EYES:I wear progressive glasses(when i WEAR glasses, which i usually do not, as i usually wear contacts-w/reading glasses OVER 'em when necesary).

Here is my 2nd Question:

I find that the progressives, which have been newly prescribed for me are great for mid-range, and good for distance, yet i HAVE to take them off for READING.

My optomotrist says this is usually the case w/someone w/my RX-Is this really true, or should i try to get her to re-prescribe? How would you, as a Specialist, handle this?

Yes, that would be just fine. You can safely take up to 800 mg if needed though.

Sounds like yo are about a 1.50 myope (-1.50 glasses Rx) or so since you can read so well without your glasses....and, yes, with progressives it can be hard to get the add low enough for you to read comfortably without glasses.

That being said, it should be possible......

As a retina surgeon, I've not prescribed glasses (except to my entire family) in over two decades -- you caught me again!

Go Pack GO!

Now, back to the game.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So is it cold in Wisconsin now? My husband has The Game on now too, so i'll just ask one or two more qs so you can concentrate on THAT!!

I wear a +250 for reading over the contacts.

I think it is GREAT that you RXed your family....that's what families DO!!

So in closing, do you think it is OK advice to take OFF the progressives for reading, or should i try to get her to RX something that INCLUDES reading?By doing THAT tho' i think the OTHER ranges suffer, and THEY are real good.

So what do you think??

Na....it's 18 degrees outside right now; kinda warm ;-)

It is perfectly OK to take off the progressives to read....won't hurt your eyes at all nor will it affect the other ranges whatsoever.

Off To San Francisco :-)

Have a wonderful weekend.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can i ask you onemore thing, since you said you have not gone away?

The pain i experience in my leg,when it comes, can be above the knee, on the side of the thigh, or down the front of the thigh. I do not let it side-line me, and walk about ANYWAY.

Is it WORTH a visit to the Surgeon to get checked out, or would an email to him suffice?

I hope you get this message, Dr. Rick, AND you have seen your tip.

Thank you,

Madeleine

Madeleine,

Of course you can :)

And thank you very much for the tip....

I believe a visit to the surgeon would be much better then an email. With your symptoms an examination, and possibly other studies/imaging will be needed to get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

Dr Rick, MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes-and once again, thank you for the speedy response!

~Madeleine~

My pleasure.

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A visit to the Surgeon yestewrday proved that "even" an opthalmologist can diagnose a non-eye problem!

Basically, all is well w/the hip, but there is some bursitis, some shin splints--so he gave a these exercise bands to wrap aroundthey are long skinny rubber things)my ankle to provide more resistance when i exercise--said the exercise would help(now THAT was a surprise!), and said heat and Advil would help as well....

What do you think of THIS???

Go, Packs,

Madeleine

Madeleine,

I will be sure to let my wife know that I am, for a fact, smarter then the Average Ophthalmologist lol!

Glad to hear that there is nothing serious going on and that you should be back to your old self soon.

SF is going to be tough to beat but I'm sure The Pack will prevail.

Take care have a good day.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD