Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My heart muscle power is at 63% in echo, is this considered

My heart muscle power is at 63% in echo, is this considered low?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer: Hello doctor
RickMD :

A 37% loss of cardiac function is considered significant. If by low, you mean is it crippling? That depends on many factors.

RickMD :

There are patients who have significantly more loss of cardiac function and are still alive....

RickMD :

What they are usually talking about with this number is XXXXX ejection fraction -- the amount of blood that is squirted out of your heart with every beat.

Customer: This is the first time that I do an echo, the reason for doing this is because of fluctuating BP. Some times as high as 160/100 and going down to 85/49 lowest while sleeping. I have had no complaints before a week
RickMD :

When talking about ejection fraction, not heart muscle function, normal is anywhere from 55 to 70%. If this is the measurement you were given then that is considered normal. I'm sorry about the earlier confusion....I did not know what parameter you were referring to.

RickMD :

That is high BP and defiantly should be treated.

RickMD :

The low values at night, however, are going to make managed of your HTN tricky.....

RickMD :

Low BP at night can cause damage to your optic nerve, brain, kidney's and other organs.

Customer: Thanks doctor for your care, have a nice evening
RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a Happy New Year.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick