Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have got a slight temperature, a hacking cough and bubbling

I have got a slight temperature, a hacking cough and bubbling noise on my chest and feel pretty lifeless. I have got some Amoxicillin 225mgwhich the doector gave me for an abcess on my tooth , which I have not used, would it be sensible to take that ?
Serena Sparks.
Greetings,

Thanks for using Just Answer. I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.This is INFORMATION only, not a substitute for doctor's visit.

When did the symptom start? How frequently do you cough? Is there any sputum? Was any other medicine tried? Is there any other significant past illness?
Thank you for your question:

I would strongly urge you NOT to self-treat these symptoms with an antibiotic. Most cases of the common cold or bronchitis (respiratory infections) are caused by viruses, not bacteria.

Self-treating with an antibiotic when there is no proven infection, increases the risk of developing an antibiotic resistant bacterial infection. You really should see your GP or A&E physician to get a proper diagnosis before starting any antibiotic.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help, is there anything else that you suggest I should take, or do I just let it takes its course, and if not on the mend by Monday try and get an appt. with Doctor?

Drinking fluids, rest and paracetamol for the fever may help you feel better. Honestly with viral infections, there is little that can be done other than treating the symptoms.

If you smoke (and I hope you don't), you should of course stop smoking, since this will only make your cough worse.

Steam inhalation may also be helpful with loosening the congestion and cough.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years