Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

How long does it take for mild pneumonia to clear up. My husband

How long does it take for mild pneumonia to clear up. My husband started with a sore throat, congestion, coughing and difficult time breathing last Tuesday. I took him to Urgent care they said bronchitis but wanted to do a chest xray to make sure nothing else was going on. Came back with haziness in the lower right lobe of one of his lungs which the Dr said looks to be pneumonia. They put him in inhalers, steroids and zpak. He is just about getting back to normal except he still gets winded quickly if he over exerts himself and is still coughing up a little bit (mostly clear) it was yellow and feeling fatigued at times. No sore throat, fever and ear pain is goin and not coughing as much. But he still feels fatigued easily. Everyday seems to be a little bit better but how long could it take until this is completely gone? He is 47 years old.
Hello from JA
It can take a month for the pneumonia to resolve completely, even with antibiotics....the infection is gone, but there is still inflammation, and the lungs have to clear out debris.
The older one is the longer it usually takes.
He would take it easy and not over exert himself.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert. Other wise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept], But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for the info, have a great day!