Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi Doctor, Ive just been told that i may be suffering from

Hi Doctor, I've just been told that i may be suffering from mastitis, i,m not at all breastfeeding nor have i had a baby in the last 10yrs! I,m 40yrs old.
I,ve have been suffering from a pain in my left lung when i inhale also a dullness in my spine three quaters down my spine. These pains started 8 wks ago. i paid a visit to my G.P 4wks ago and he informed me i had fluid in my lung, i went for an xray, which came back all clear. My symptoms never improved and my general wellbeing got very low. I went for a chest MRI yesterday and the results were that, there is a shadow under my left breast and Mastitis was mentioned. My Doctor has put me on Augmentin Duo, 1 x t.i.d x10 days... I find the whole thing a bit alarming, could this be mastitis or something much more sinister and as its christmas week they have given a quick fix of antibiotics just to get me over the holiday season. My G.P is going to review in 10 days.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Thank you for your very detailed post.

RickMD :

In addition to Xray findings I would expect you to have findings on physical exam consistent with mastitis.

RickMD :

I'm sure your MD took all of this into consideration before she decided to treat you with antibiotics for this condition.

RickMD :

I would not jump to the conclusion that this is something much more sinister (cancer, etc) nor that your MD wants to just give you "a quick fix" to get over the holidays.....doctors really don't work that way.

RickMD :

I would just take the antibiotics as directed, enjoy your holidays and follow up as scheduled.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

Ok, thank you for that.. i,m sure all was considered when he came to a diagnosis, im not txting i,m getting spellings.... what is mastitis when its in under my breast in this way...

RickMD :

Mastitis just means inflammation of breast tissue....it can be from many, many things.

RickMD :

If it would be easier for you go ahead and use texting shorthand -- I have three teenagers so I've learned the lingo :)

Customer:

okay I,ll accept that and i,ll finish antibotics...Would the breast tissue need to be injured have a visible appearence of inflammation, as my boob as none of this...so how could it be caused?

RickMD :

But a bacterial infection, that can be treated with augmetin, is a common cause of mastitis.

RickMD :

No. You may have an infection deep in your breast that would not show up on the surface. Also, trauma is not needed as a precursor for this infection to start.

Customer:

ok, Thank you for the reassurance.... Please God it will go in a few days.

RickMD :

Have a happy holiday season :)

RickMD :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC