Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

my platelets seem to be low when i had blood test for sihypertension

my platelets seem to be low when i had blood test for sihypertension in august..mine 139 and apparently normal is between 200 and 400
Welcome to and thank you for your question.I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Other then hypertension do you have any other known medical disease?
Any history of any bleeding?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

I am waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Lowered platelet count or Thrombocytopenia can occur due to a variety of causes.As per Mayo Clinic,the values of normal platelet count would be 150-450,000/ml,As the life of a platelet is only 10 days,new platelets are continually being made in the bone marrow and destroyed in the spleen.A lot of inherited/genetic diseases may lead to lowered levels of platelets,these include autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid Arthritis/SLE,bacterial sepsis and viral infections,myelodysplasia,Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura(ITP) and Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura(TTP),Vitamin B12 defic iency,bleeding or clotting disorders,Hemolytic-Uremic Syndrome,malignancy/leukemias,bone marrow depression and certain medication.The medicines involved will include sulfa drugs,heparin,quinidine/quinine,anticonvulsants,gold salts and anticancer drugs apart from others.Minor fluctuations occur normally and investigations are usually done if the levels fall below 100,000/ml.Your physician/PCP will examine you and investigate as per the physical findings into the specific cause of lowered platelets.The treatment will be specific to the cause found.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience