Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I take 6000 mg omega 3 fish oil daily. I feel good and my

I take 6000 mg omega 3 fish oil daily. I feel good and my joints don't hurt, just a twinge once in a while. I was told to take only 3000 and I did that for one week when I noticed the difference. I do not seem to have any side effects from taking that amount. Am I doing myself harm taking that much? I read in my pill book that one would need to take 10,000 daily to get enough. Thanks.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. At our site we recommend up to 4000mg per day. If this level does not help to control symptoms, some individuals do go up to 6000mg per day, and there have been no adverse events with this dose so far. In fact, one study of Greenland Eskimos found that they have an average daily intake of 5700mg of omega-3 per day without supplementation.

Doctor-Bob :

You might also find it helpful to know that the FDA approves a dose of 3000mg per day of Omega-3. Since 1000mg of fish oil typically contains only 300mg of Omega-3, up to 10,000mg of fish oil per day is considered OK, assuming it does not cause one GI distress.

Thanks for your help. I was pretty sure it was ok but it is always helpful to have a professional's opinion. And I believe I have read on the bottle that the omega-3 is just 300 mg.