Dr. Shahzad MD
Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCPS.
28323552

I have pain behind right ear down jaw line into throat. Went

I have pain behind right ear down jaw line into throat. Went to urgent care she checked saw no drainage in ear she gave me very strong antibiotic I have taken it faithfully for 3 days. That same night I had to go to ER for severe pain in same area she suspected mastoiditis. They did not X-ray or do any test. I felt pretty good yesterday but through the night the pain has came back and I had to take a pain pill because Advil is not working. I have had chills but no fever it actually is a low temp.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Thank you for writing to us

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If your pain has returned in spite of being on antibiotic for three days, it means that the bug may be resistant to the antibiotic that you took and this may require a change in the antibiotic

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like that your doctor should have some tests like a complete blood count and an x ray of the mastoid area as well

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You also may require a stronger prescription pain medication as advil is not helping you out with your problem

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Therefore I would recommend that you should consult an ENT specialist for your problem.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do rate me for my services when you are done by clicking on one of the rating options.

Customer: The ER doctor gave me some stronger pain medicine. I don't think it my teeth because it would be them all. I feel like someone has punched me where the lymph node is. If I apply pressure under the ear and lymph node it is so sore. There is no redness or swelling. I have tried to just go on but the pain is back.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

A sore lymph node does mean that there is an infection

Dr. Shahzad MD :

either in the ear or in the throat or in the mastoid

Customer: Ok thank you. How is mastoiditis diagnosis?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Mastoiditis presents with ear pain and discomfort

Dr. Shahzad MD :

patients may have fever and pain behind the ear

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Standard for diagnosing mastoiditis is either by a CAT scan or MRI

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Treatment is with antibiotics

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer: Ok. I will try to get an appointment with ENT.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Great

Dr. Shahzad MD :

anything else that you would like to ask?

Customer: Would it be normal for the pain to go to left side and it hurt a little to swallow? I have been putting heating pad on my neck it seems to help at least I'm hoping. Personally when I went to urgent care I suspected it was just my sinuses but they didn't say anything gave me amoxicillin 875mg 2times a day.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should continue the amoxicillin for the entire duration that they did prescribe it for. Hurting to swallow means that there is certainly a throat infection as well indicating inflammation in the throat.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The ear and the throat are connected by a tube that is called as a eustachian tube

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So a throat problem can cause pain in the ear or infection in the ear or mastoid as well

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer: No I appreciate the advice.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok then
Take care
Good bye
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on "Rate to Finish"
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCPS.