Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My Dr. started me on Alli weight loss pills. I took 2 pills

My Dr. started me on Alli weight loss pills. I took 2 pills a day for about a week. I would normally have 2 normal bowel movements per day every day prior to taking ALLI. I started the pills and instead of making me go to the bathroom it gave me almost like constipation for a few days but I continued to take them. Then all of a sudden I was getting bad lower stomach cramping (pains) followed by gas and bowel movements, this lasted for about 12 hours and then I had a few hours of total diarrhea and my lower stomach was very tender. I stopped the ALLI after I started with the diarrhea and then after a couple of hours of diarrhea I took 2 imodium which stopped the diarrhea and the gas and took away the stomach tenderness. This was this past Friday that I took the imodium. I then started to take acidophilos priobiotic because it was recommended to help with my GI tract. My bowel movements are now back to normal, light brown however I am still having a lot of gas pain that goes away after passing gas however I did read that acidophilos can cause gas as well. I am thinking this ALLI really messed up my whole GI tract and I have read some information where this has happened to others as well. At this point is it okay to continue with the acidophilos?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

Good Evening....

RickMD :

That is a very good question. I am glad to hear that you are doing better

Customer:

Not sure if I should mention this but there is also a gastroenteritis bug going around rampid where I live so I am not sure if could have been the issue and not the medication....

RickMD :

That is a distinct possibility, especially if you have had contact with infected people

RickMD :

To answer your question about the acidophilos, taking this is, in general, very safe especially in people without underlying chronic health issues such as short bowel syndrome or immune problems.

RickMD :

As such I believe you are OK to continue taking the acidophilos, especially since your GI problems, with the exception of gas ,are so much better.

Customer:

Thank you for the info....I appreciate it.

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC