Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hello, I have had a reoccurance of Hashimotos Disease from

I have had a reoccurance of Hashimotos Disease from Oct. After physical I acknowledged that symptoms I was experiencing for 3 months prior were due to this disease. Thought was Fibro Mylagia.

I had a serious Graves Disease at 30. Treated w/radioactive Iodine. Went into Hashimotos after and was seriously ill. This was at 29 yrs of age. I am now 67. This is the 2nd episode of Hashimotos since....the FIRST in 1999, felt as crappy, and in time was resolved, and again now. Have been dealing w/a sick adult child as well a husband who also has had health issues. Stress has been bad.

This time my total Cholestrol has gone up significantly, and LDL esp . After 'standing' 6 weeks on Warcol. which made me very fluish sick feeling, LDL which was 299 is 260...PRIOR to this episode of Hashimotos my Cholestrol was in perfect condition...TRIs were in double digits, now 189. HDL upper 50s and 60s/ I was on a regime of Fish Oil, Non Flush Niacin and Coq10. However, this setback has disturbed all the normalcy of my cholestrol. A # XXXXX yrs back before finding a natural reducter, I had taken statins for 6 years...DREADFUL MUSCLE PAIN,,as WELL TOTAL BODY WEAKNESS..................................I am taking .100mcg of synthroid now up from .88 mcg..its been near 10 weeks. symptoms slowly abating but still present. I know too doc will want to put me back on a statin. can you please say which one is least BAD on body? I have taken Zocor, Provocal. and one other which skips my mind.......any suggestions please I will speak w/him tomorrow.... I wish to go back to my NON FLUSH NIACIN and FISH OIL and COQ10.....Suggestions please.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Why can't you go back on your non flush niacin, fish oil and COQ10? How long ago did stop taking these meds? Also, what do you mean by a "natural reducer"?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks....I am going back on the fish oil. coq10 and non flush niacin...It is what I meant by 'natural reducer;......other than the statins. Its a real pain , as in nusiance, as to how slowly energy and body muscle pains etc take to return to a normal degree of I do recognize I am not 30 anylonger as well.

That sounds like a very good plan...and I know exactly what you mean about getting older :)

All the satins have side effects and, as such, the best thing to do would be to work with your doctor and try one of them at time and find the one that works best for you.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why does the body take so long to recover, the thyroid gland when hit w.the Hashimotos? My doc has not called as yet regards my lab work... I have a gen idea as I worked as a nurse about 100 yrs back :)/ Yet somethings one never forgets in training.

The trigger point I have found spare the 1st after Radioactive Idodine treatment has been a stresser. I suspect many things can play a role.

Surely a don't get any of the fee? WOW that's a cheat on you docs.

Everyone takes a different time to recover and some never do. As you so wisely pointed out many things all play a role. are where we make most of our money. It's like being a waiter with 16+ years of college :-)