Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

What do the following results on a CBC mean MCV 96 fl 79-97,

What do the following results on a CBC mean MCV 96 fl 79-97, MCH 32.8 pg 26.6-33.0,MCHC 34.2 G/DL 31.5-35.7.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

It is data on your red blood cells.

RickMD :

MCV means Mean cell volume. It shows the average volume of a red blood cell in femtoliters. Today, it is actually physically measured with a laser :-)

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : It is data on your red blood cells.
RickMD : MCV means Mean cell volume. It shows the average volume of a red blood cell in femtoliters. Today, it is actually physically measured with a laser :-)

I will continue my answer on the next screen....
MCH: This means Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin content. It tells how much hemoglobin is in each red blood cell. It is a calculated, rather then directly measured value.

MCHC: is called Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration. It, unlike MCH, measures the concentration of hemoglobin in a volume of red blood cells that have been packed together rather then in one cell alone.

The normal expected values for every lab vary slightly and would be printed next to each value usually highlights if it is outside expected ranges.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC