Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

My husband has hookworm, and his doctor prescribed Albenza.

My husband has hookworm, and his doctor prescribed Albenza. The prescription will cost nearly $500 for 8 pills. I know that dogs get hookworm as well. Do you know if there is a hookworm medication for dogs that is also safe for humans?
The drugs used in dogs include Albendazole(Albenza),Mebendazole and Pyrantel palmoate.The first two are more effective.The same drugs are effective in humans (the dose will differ as per the body weight).These drugs may be comparatively cheaper but the dosage may differ.
The hookworms infections in humans will differ from those found in animals.Out of the 4 known hookworms humans are usually infected by Necator americanus and Ancylostama duodenale,the dogs may get other strains also as infections.