Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have been struggling with strong anxiety or fear regarding

I have been struggling with strong anxiety or fear regarding germs, household chemicals, etc. What would be a good psychiatric/mental treatment for this?
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

How long has this been going on for?

Does the citalopram seem to be helping at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been going on for about a year and a half. The Citalopram hasn't seemed to have had any effect, but then again I've only been taking it for a week and I was told it can take quite a bit longer than that for it to show results.

That is correct. You really need to give the citalopram at least 3 weeks to take effect.

In addition to medications a special type of therapy, called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has been shown to be very effective with patients such as yourself.

This treatment is offered by therapists all over the country and I am sure that your psychiatrist can refer you to a program in your area.

I have a cousin who suffered from issues just like yours and he did extremely well with CBT. I highly recommend that you give it a try along with, of course, medical management under the care of your psychiatrist.

In the meantime, give the citalopram more time to work :)

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick