Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My wife had a meningioma tumor removed last June. Ten weeks

Customer Question

My wife had a meningioma tumor removed last June. Ten weeks after surgery she developed a bunch containing fluid under the incision. Surgeon stated that body fluid was seeping though mesh put in to replace bone that could not be put back in the incision area. She went back for a second surgery to remove the mesh and replace it. Two weeks after surgery she is still getting up in the morning to find a bunch filled with fluid. She is scheduled for a Dr. visit in Feb. 2013. Are there any questions we should be aware of to ask our surgeon? Is this unusual for this type of surgery ? Not sure where else to get advise .

Thank You
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

this is not a usual thing after brain surgery. The fluid that is collecting is most likely cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).

RickMD :

I am sure that your wife's neurosurgeon has done, and is doing, everything possible to seal this leak.

RickMD :

Would you say that the fluid collection is less at this point then it was prior to the replacement of the mesh?

RickMD :

Is your wife having any symptoms, such as headache etc at this time?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : this is not a usual thing after brain surgery. The fluid that is collecting is most likely cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).
RickMD : I am sure that your wife's neurosurgeon has done, and is doing, everything possible to seal this leak.
RickMD : Would you say that the fluid collection is less at this point then it was prior to the replacement of the mesh?
RickMD : Is your wife having any symptoms, such as headache etc at this time?

I look forward to your reply.
Hi. Thanks for the positive feedback, but I still owe you an answer :)

At the very least I think you should call the surgeon and let him know that your wife is still, even after the second surgery, having the fluid collection in the morning, even though she is sleeping on multiple pillows.

There may be, unfortunately, nothing else that can be done at this time to stop the leak.

Of course, you could consult with another neurosurgeon. If you were to want to do this, I would suggest seeing a surgeon who is a Professor of Neurosurgery at a Large University Teaching Hospital.

At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Even though you have already given me positive feedback I am still here and available to chat with you.