Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 39 year old male about 35 lbs overwheight even though

Customer Question

I am a 39 year old male about 35 lbs overwheight even though I exercise a lot. My diet is not that great too many breads and desserts, and a weakness for diet pepsi. Other than drinking way too much soda I have no other health vice...

In the last week I got a lump right on the back base of my skull slightly to the left. I thought somehow I could have pulled a muscle where it attaches, but yesterday it was tender to the touch and started to move down some. I have also had a slight persistent soreness in my right eye, sort of like you get when developing a stye. Since neither of these is really painful sould I ignore and let it run its course, or is there a potential from something more serious? Just thought I would ask since this is something knew for me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Is this lump slightly movable under the skin?

RickMD :

Is your vision affected in your right eye at all?

RickMD :

do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Is this lump slightly movable under the skin?
RickMD : Is your vision affected in your right eye at all?
RickMD : do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really moveable, but a little like half a pea, which kind of broke up yesterday as I massaged it, before the soreness moved down.

No vision impairment, just a slightly sore lid. I have no other medical conditions and take no medicine other than an occasional benedryl for alergies.

I must confess: I, too, share your weakness for Diet Pepsi :-)

Let me deal with your neck and eyelid separably. First your neck.

Since this lump kinda broke up, that tells me it is not a lymph node. Most likely what you are feeling is a cyst, an area of folliculitis or a furuncle. You should try hot compresses as often as your schedule will allow during the day. If it does not get better, or come to a head and start to drain in a couple of days it would probably be best to have your MD take a look at it.

Now. Concerning your eyelid. It sounds like you have blepharitis and, as you have already stated, a "pre-stye"

It is interesting to note that stye formation and a the lump on your neck may be related as the normal skin bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus, can be involved in both conditions....

In any event, the eyelid issue is simple to treat and requires on antibiotics. Here is some information on what you can do:

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Rick I really appreciate the practical advice. I will do as you recommend.

My pleasure. Have a good day.