Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

How can I know how much fiber Im suppose to get every day

How can I know how much fiber I'm suppose to get every day in my diet?are there fiber pills I can take?and what kind of fiber should I take?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

That is an excellent question. First of all, let me obtain some more information.

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication? Do you have any issues with your current BMs? Do you eat on a regular schedule?

Customer:

not allways

RickMD :

The actual amount of fiber you need is related to how many calories you eat a day, all other things being equal (no diseases etc)

Customer:

I,m daibetes.I take pills and insulin.and medication for high blood pressure.and pain pills for headacts

RickMD :

For an healthy adult, eating a "standard" 2,000 calorie a day diet the research shows you should be getting, at least, 28 grams of daily fiber.

RickMD :

Ok. In that case, especially if you are having problems with constipation etc, you would want to eat more then that recommended amount. You can not really hurt yourself by eating fiber in your diet.

Customer:

so,are there fiber pills?and is there diffrien kinds of fiber?

RickMD :

There are two types of fiber: Soluble and insoluble. You want to have both types. This can be accomplished by eating lots of fruits, whole foods like apples, brown rice , beans, grapes etc.

RickMD :

Yes. There are fiber pills, fiber that you put in drinks....all sorts of forms you can buy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already rated you anser excelent.thanks for the info.

My pleasure. Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.