Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

say i have a cold sore on my lip, i get them probly once a

say i have a cold sore on my lip, i get them probly once a year. is it possible for it to become genital herpes in any way?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

thank you

RickMD :

The strain of herpes that usually causes cold sores is HSV1. HSV2 is usually associated with genital herpes

Customer:

so im just wondering like if i were to touch my cold sore and then my genital region its not possible? not that i would do that anyway

RickMD :

This being said, the genital area can become infected with HSV1 and, as such, be thought as causing genital herpes, even though this is a different virus

Customer:

well does that mean that it has a chance of comming back in that region cuz then it might as well be HSV2

RickMD :

No. Touching your cold sore with your fingers and then touching your genital area would not, in the vast majority of cases, transmit the virus to your genitals. This transfer really requires direct contact, such as if a person with a active cold sore on their lip were to give oral sex to a woman.

RickMD :

Not sure what you mean......if you mean to say that you have a "cold sore" (HSV1) infection in your genital area already then, yes, just like it does on your lip, it can come back.

RickMD :

A cold sore will not come out on your lip one day and then sometime in the future pop up on your genitals....it doesn't work that way.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

okay well i have a cold sore and couldnt remember if i washed my hands after applying some medication, i used the restroom and it just worries me a little but with the information you've provided i think ill be fine, thank you very much for your time and expertise

RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.