Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi. I have a question. I am 34 years old. I was diagnosed

Hi. I have a question. I am 34 years old. I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 18 and fibromyalgia at the age of 27. I have off and on strange symptoms. When I exercise excessively, I hurt for weeks at a time. I went for a walk this summer and by the time I got halfway back to my house, my right leg 'locked' up and I could barely move my right foot. It felt like lead. I sat and rested and made it back home after 1/2 hour or so. One time, I had a tremor in my ring and pinky fingers on my right hand. this lasted for about 2 hours and went away. My spine always hurts and the muscles in my back and neck always hurt, but are much worse in the early morning and before bed. the other day, I hung up Christmas lights for 2 hours after work, and could just barely lift my legs enough to get up the 2 steps to get back into my house. I take ibuprofen all the time, which helps for awhile. At the moment, all of my fingertips feel very sensitive. Typing even bothers them. It's a strange feeling that I can't really describe. All of these symptoms seem to come and go depending on the day I've had. So, after giving you all of this, I was wondering if you think I should go on to be tested for MS or Parkinson's disease or is all this normal for RA and fibromyalgia? My rheumatologist told me 4 years ago that I didn't have any symptoms of these diseases and not to worry about it, but I felt that my pain was too great to be just RA or fibro?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Good Morning,

I am online and available to help you with your question today.

The symptoms you have listed are not specific for MS but, as this disease can present with a wide range of symptoms, it is not unreasonable to consider it in your differential diagnosis.

From what you have posted I do not think you are suffering from Parkinson's disease.

Since your current doctors do not seem to be interested in working up your condition you might consider going to a large University Medical Center for a complete physical examination. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your input...I am about an hour from Morgantown, WV and an hour or so from Cumberland, MD. I would appreciate your referral to a physician in either of those areas. I am very concerned about my fingertips being numb.

Charleston Area Medical Centers is one of the top teaching hospitals in West Virginia. It is located in Charleston, WV.

I recommend XXXXX XXXXX, MD:

Suite 100,300 Kenton Drive
WV, 25311

I think you will get excellent, state of the art care at CAMC.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC